Sunday 20 September 2015

Madeira lemon loaf cake

Summer has officially come to an end (or technically it will in 2 days). It is starting to feel a little chillier around here as I found myself lingering a little longer under the cosy warmth of that 13.5 tog duvet in the early mornings.


I think my body is preparing for hibernation mode. It moves a little slower, feels a little heavier - like I have to lug that lazy weight around when I step out of bed, wobbling and swaying like a flubber (remember that green rubbery bouncy substance from a Disney film?).


It is a beautiful day, nevertheless. We've got sunshine ~ on a cloudy day... I have decided to warm up the place a little with some oven heat.


Madeira cake is a classic English sponge cake, much similar to a pound cake. I did a search and found that "Madeira" is actually a Portugese archipelago. This cake was named after Medeira wine from the islands which was popular in England and often served with the cake back in the 18th century.

Goes well with tea too!


What?

  • 200 g plain flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 0.5 tsp salt
  • 100 g caster sugar 
  • 150 g light olive oil
  • 2 eggs
  • zest and juice of 1 lemon
  • 1 tbsp milk

How?

  1. Sieve the flour, baking powder and salt.
  2. Mix in the sugar (I used 50 g brown and 50 g caster sugar).
  3. Mix in the oil and the eggs, one at a time.
  4. Add the lemon zest and juice and mix until combined.
  5. Add in the milk last and give the batter a quick stir.
  6. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degC for 60 min, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
  7. Transfer it to cool on a wire rack after it cools a little.

2 comments:

  1. Well done!! You have a flair for cooking and baking! So proud of you! :) Mom

    ReplyDelete