Sunday 6 March 2016

Steamed Kuih Bakul

I'm not too sure if "post-festival withdrawal symptoms/blues" are a real thing... But if they were, I'm sure feeling it now.

However, one of the best things about post CNY is that we can now eat the 年糕!


I used to think 年糕 was written as 黏糕, the former literally means "year cake" and the latter "sticky cake". I thought "sticky" made sense as it signifies a complete reunion, that a family and friends stay close and prosper together (this is where the 糕 = 高 part comes into play). My mom told me this year that niangao (年高) implies prosperity for the year as in 年年高升, and not 粘在一起...

In any case, ti kueh (hokkien/teochew name for Kuih Bakul; gosh is this cake complicated or what!) is very versatile and can be made into a savory dish with meat and cabbage or added into soup. It can also serve as a between-meals snack when pan-fried with egg and sweet potatoes and yam, or steamed and coated with coconut. Though I have not tried the savoury versions, the sweet ones are amazing good! (making the steamed ones is super fast and no-frills...)


What?
  • Kuih Bakul
  • Dessicated coconut
How?
  1. Cut / slice Kuih Bakul into smaller pieces (roughly  5 x 4 x 2 cm cuboids).
  2. Steam Kueh Bakul and dessicated coconut for about 10 minutes.
  3. Coat the Kueh Bakul in coconut. (It will be sticky!) Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment